The formal diagnosis of dependent personality disorder rests on these symptoms, which can be evaluated by psychiatrists and other mental health professionals.
Dependent Personality Disorder According to the ICD-10
The following information is reproduced verbatim from the ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders, World Health Organization, Geneva, 1992. (Since the WHO updates the overall ICD on a regular basis, individual classifications within it may or may not change from year to year; therefore, you should always check directly with the WHO to be sure of obtaining the latest revision for any particular individual classification.)
F60.7 Dependent Personality Disorder
Personality disorder characterized by at least 3 of the following:
- encouraging or allowing others to make most of one’s important life decisions;
- subordination of one’s own needs to those of others on whom one is dependent, and undue compliance with their wishes;
- unwillingness to make even reasonable demands on the people one depends on;
- feeling uncomfortable or helpless when alone, because of exaggerated fears of inability to care for oneself;
- preoccupation with fears of being abandoned by a person with whom one has a close relationship, and of being left to care for oneself;
- limited capacity to make everyday decisions without an excessive amount of advice and reassurance from others.
Associated features may include perceiving oneself as helpless, incompetent, and lacking stamina.
- asthenic, inadequate, passive, and self-defeating personality (disorder)
Please see the separate set of notes which apply to all personality disorders in the ICD-10 system of classification: ICD Notes Common to the Diagnostic Criteria for Each Personality Disorder.
- Personality Disorders
- Anankastic Personality Disorder (Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder) Symptoms
- Antisocial Personality Disorder (Dissocial Personality Disorder) Symptoms
- Avoidant Personality Disorder (Anxious Personality Disorder) Symptoms
- Borderline Personality Disorder Symptoms
- Dependent Personality Disorder Symptoms
- Histrionic Personality Disorder Symptoms
- ICD Diagnostic Guidelines on Personality Disorders
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms
- Paranoid Personality Disorder Symptoms
- Personality Disorders Foundation
- Schizoid Personality Disorder Symptoms
All clinical material on this site is peer reviewed by one or more qualified mental health professionals. This specific article was originally published by Dr Greg Mulhauser, Managing Editor on .on and was last reviewed or updated by