Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder: Symptoms
The formal diagnosis of agoraphobia without a history of panic disorders rests on these symptoms, which can be evaluated by psychiatrists and other mental health professionals.
Symptoms of Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder
According to the DSM, “The essential features of Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder are similar to those of Panic Disorder With Agoraphobia except that the focus of fear is on the occurrence of incapacitating or extremely embarrassing panic-like symptoms or limited-symptom attacks rather than full Panic Attacks” (p. 441). The following specific diagnostic criteria are reproduced verbatim (except for codings and page references) from the DSM-IV TR (where ‘IV TR’ indicates fourth edition, text revision), page 443.
Diagnostic Criteria for Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder
A. The presence of Agoraphobia related to fear of developing panic-like symptoms (e.g., dizziness or diarrhea).
B. Criteria have never been met for Panic Disorder.
C. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition.
D. If an associated general medical condition is present, the fear described in Criterion A is clearly in excess of that usually associated with the condition.
- Anxiety Disorders
- Acute Stress Disorder Symptoms
- Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder
- Causes of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Other Anxiety Disorders
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder Symptoms
- OCD: Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Panic Attacks and Agoraphobia: Underlying Symptoms
- Panic Disorder Symptoms
- Phobias: Specific Phobia (Simple Phobia) Symptoms
- PTSD: Symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Social Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder) Symptoms
All clinical material on this site is peer reviewed by one or more qualified mental health professionals. This specific article was originally published by Dr Greg Mulhauser, Managing Editor on .on and was last reviewed or updated by